Monday, August 24, 2015

MMMM Bars


So I think I deserve several gold stars for the clever name of these bars.
Not only is "mmmm" the sound you will make when you eat them, the M's all stand for ingredients in the recipe. 
Molasses.
Mango.
Macadamia nuts.
Meringue. 
*Taaaah - daaaah*
Yes. I'm proud of myself. I am normally the most suckiest name-come-upper-wither ever. 
Also, 
These bars rock. 
Like.... old-school-guitars-and-spandex-and-big-hair rock. 
So many things are going on that your taste buds will be all like... "Whoa! Dude, whatever this is you should marry it."
I know you think I'm exaggerating but I'm not. Not even a little. The tastes and textures and layers of deliciousness are over the top addicting. 
I developed this recipe for the Crosby's Molasses Raising The Bar molasses inspired recipe contest. (Click HERE for more info) I'm so glad that Crosby's runs these fun recipe contests otherwise I would probably never step outside my comfort zone and try these fab new combinations!
Give these a try and let us know what you think!


MMMM Bars

Ingredients
Base
3 cups flour
pinch salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, room temp
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
1/2 cup dried mango, finely diced

Meringue
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp coconut extract

Topping
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Directions
Preheat oven to 325. Line a 12 X 17 baking sheet/jelly roll pan with parchment paper. (Note - can also use a 10.5 X 15.5 jelly roll pan but you will have to increase your cooking time.) Set aside.
In a medium frying pan over medium heat, toast the chopped macadamia nuts until they start to brown and are fragrant - about 5 minutes.


When they are done, scrape them into a bowl to cool. Place the coconut in the pan and toast it as well. It will only take a few minutes to brown as the pan is already hot. When it is done, scrape it into a separate bowl to cool. 
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until smooth - scraping bowl as necessary. Beat in both sugars until fluffy. Beat in the Crosby's Fancy Molasses, egg yolks, and vanilla until well combined.
Beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mixture may seem crumbly but should stick together if you squeeze it in your hand.
Beat in the toasted macadamia nuts and mango. 


Press mixture very firmly into the prepared 12 X 17 baking sheet. Set aside.


In a clean mixing bowl, beat your egg whites until foamy. Beat in the cream of tartar.
Very gradually beat in the brown sugar - about a spoonful at a time. 
Beat in the coconut extract. Meringue should be glossy.
Spread evenly over the base.


Sprinkle with the toasted coconut.


Bake at 325 until golden brown, about 20 - 30 minutes. Meringue should appear dry and coconut will be a dark golden brown.


Dip a knife in water and run it around the outside of the pan to release it from the sides of the pan. (You may have to dip it in water a few times so the meringue doesn't stick to the knife.)
Let cool completely on a wire rack. 
When cool you can use the parchment paper to help you remove it from the pan (You can cut it into sections to remove it from the pan to make things easier if need be.) Cut into bars.


Then marvel at how pretty they look.


Try not to eat the whole bunch...


Don't mind me... I'll just be over here looking at this stack of crunchy, chewy heaven.


Maybe just a few more photos....


And, if you don't want them in the longish bar form (I got 32ish bars that were approximately 1 inch X 6 inches pictured above) then you can cut them into squares (I got 64ish approximately 1 X 3 inch squares (yes, I realize that is not technically a square) - see below.) Because these are made in a 12 X 17 baking sheet, this is a perfect recipe for a crowd!


MMMM....
MMMM...
MMMM...
Am I right or am I right?



Be sure to visit Carole's Chatter for tons of great food links! 

4 comments:

  1. Love the name of this dish, seems awfully appropriate too! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! This post has been pinned on the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! I love having you and can't wait to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this and I’m drooling! You are so talented. Thanks for sharing this at our party. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm, so we get to party with you again! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why they are MMMMM!! Looks Yummy! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you again this week!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete