Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Cheesy Cauliflower Turkey Bowl


I don't know if you have ever had one of the "Cheesy Bacon Bowls" from KFC, but if you have you will know that they are delicious and not really all that healthy. 
And, by "not really all that healthy" I mean it I feel my arteries hardening just looking at photos of it on the internet. (See HERE)
Anyways.... I decided I wanted one. 
But, because I live in the middle of nowhere and am a billion miles from KFC and, maybe more importantly, because I am eating healthy and watching my calories, I decided to make my own healthified version. 
Best decision I've made all week. 
This is amazing. 
Really.
 I'm pretty sure this would please even the pickiest of eaters. 
And - check out these nutritional counts:
My version - 440 calories, 10 fat, 28 carbs, and 47 protein.
KFC's version - 745 calories, 32 fat, 74 carbs, and 26 protein (approx).
Crazy, right?
P.S. - I just wanted to point out my niece created that bowl for me. *proud aunty moment*


Cheesy Cauliflower Turkey Bowl

Ingredients
1 medium head cauliflower, broken into pieces
2 clove garlic, halved
salt & pepper
4 oz (~3/4 cup) turkey (white meat) diced, cooked
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup gravy
1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 Tbsp aged cheddar, shredded
1 piece bacon, cooked and crumbled

Directions
Place cauliflower and garlic into a large pot and cover with water. Place over high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes or so. 
When tender, drain off the water and place cauliflower and garlic into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt & pepper. Keep warm.
Meanwhile, heat up turkey, corn, and gravy (either on the stove top or in the microwave). When everything is hot prepare your bowl.


Place 1 1/3 cups of mashed cauliflower into a serving bowl.


Top with heated turkey, corn, and gravy.


Now sprinkle with the Parmesan, cheddar, and bacon.


Serve hot.


This is a huge serving. I could hardly eat all of it. 
Don't get me wrong.... I did eat it all....it was just really, really filling. 
And...so tasty. 
If you are having a KFC bowl craving....make this. It's ridiculous.

Sharing at these fabulous linky parties - Adorned From Above, Dizzy Busy & Hungry, Table For Seven, Carole's Chatter

3 comments: