Thursday, November 14, 2013

Greek Gyro Lettuce Wraps


I am always saying that I love it when healthy and tasty come together.  
I hate it when healthy tastes like healthy. 
Blech.
I know...I know.... that makes me a terrible person. I should appreciate the healthiness of the food. 
It's just that...well....that's really hard when it tastes like I'm eating cardboard.
Anyway...what I'm trying to say is that THIS recipe is not one of those recipes. 
These wraps are crazy good. 
I didn't even miss the pita bread that would normally go with a gyro. The lettuce is crispy, the meatballs are savory, and the feta and tzatziki add just the right amount of zip. 
According to Myfitnesspal each wrap (3 meatballs, 2 Tbsp tzatziki, 1 Tbsp feta, 4 grape tomatoes, and 2 lettuce leaves) is:
200 calories, 8 carbs, 22 fat, and 70 protein.
They are pretty filling. I had 2 for dinner the first night and one for lunch with a piece of fruit the next day and both times I was completely full. 


Greek Gyro Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients
Meatballs
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 medium onion, diced very fine
1 Tbsp Greek seasoning
1 clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper

Wrap
12 leaves Romaine lettuce
24 grape tomatoes, cut in half
12 Tbsp tzatziki
6 Tbsp feta, crumbled

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine beef, onion, Greek seasoning, garlic, and salt & pepper. It helps to use your hands to make sure things are very well mixed.
Using a cookie scoop (or simply pinch off a bit of the meat and roll it into a ball), place 18 meatballs onto prepared cookie sheet. 


Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Flip the meatballs over and continue cooking until meatballs are cooked through, about another 15 minutes.
When done, remove from oven and set aside while you prepare the wraps.
To assemble wraps -- Place 2 leaves of Romaine on top of one another on your plate. Top with 3 meatballs, 8 grape tomato halves, 2 Tbsp of tzatziki, and 1 Tbsp of feta. 
Repeat with remaining ingredients. (You should get 6 wraps out of this recipe.)


Make sure you put the fillings in the center of the lettuce leaves because then, when you pick it up, you can simply fold the sides of the lettuce over on themselves and enjoy!
For my lunch the next day I just reheated the meatballs in the microwave for a minute and it was just as good as when I had it for dinner. 
If you are watching your carbs then this is a great alternative to a regular gyro (there is only 8 carbs!) If you are just looking for a crazy good meal that also just happens to be healthy then this recipe is the one you want. 
It's true.

3 comments:

  1. This looks perfect for the lovely, long, warm, spring evenings we are having right now. Love your idea of using lettuce instead of pita bread - I'm definitely trying that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--thank you! I'm always searching for lower carb ideas for my husband. Plus we love gyros. Plus we don't like healthy that tastes like healthy. Plus, well, tzatziki & feta!
    Thank you for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lettuce wraps! These looks super awesome and pretty too. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday, ladies.

    ReplyDelete