Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Indian Spiced Green Beans


Our dad planted a whole heck load of beans in his garden this year. Well....he does so every year...but this year the crop seemed to explode. We have been eating green beans almost every day, I have been bringing them to the ladies at work, and we even brought I-don't-know-how-many to our family in Prince George. 
Guess what....there is still more coming in the garden.
*sigh*
Don't get me wrong.... I like green beans...but I have just about had my fill. We usually just boil or steam them with a little garlic butter but I decided to try and find some different ways to eat them. 
I will be sharing a few of my recipes in the next little while. 
Today's recipe was inspired by an old newspaper clipping that was in our box of clippings in the back of the cupboard. I'm sorry I can't give you any info on where it comes from or even how old it is - the hazards of clipping recipes from newspapers for 40 years.


Indian Spiced Green Beans

Ingredients
1 lb of green beans, ends removed
1 Tbsp oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1/4 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp garam masala
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
pinch sea salt
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

Directions
In a large pot over high heat, boil the green beans in water until crisp tender, about 5 - 8 minutes. Remove from heat and drain off the water. Set pot aside.


In a large skillet over medium heat, cook oil, garlic, ginger, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, salt, and onion until onions are tender - about 3 - 4 minutes. 
Add beans and continue to cook and stir until beans reach your desired level of done-ness, anywhere from 3 - 8 minutes. Keep checking them until you are happy with them.
Remove from heat and sprinkle with the chopped, fresh basil. 
Serve hot.


I love the flavors of this one. Spicy without being overwhelming. 
A really interesting side dish to liven up your dinner. It makes quite a bit too. I'm not sure exactly of how many servings...but I would say - as a side - you would get at least 8 servings out of this of about 1/2 cup each (give or take).
According to Fitday a serving (8 per recipe) would be:
56 calories, 3.5 fat, 6.1 carbs, and 1.25 protein. 
So, if you are really hungry...you could eat HALF the entire recipe for 225 calories. How great is that!

Be sure to visit Carol's Chatter for some fun, foody links!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to spice up green beans. Thanks for sharing with Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound quite tasty with the different spices. I have been making fresh green beans for my husband but I only fix them one way and I am just bored with making them! I will have to try your recipe since I still have a whole bag full in the refrigerator! Thanks for sharing on the BBQ Block Party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete