Thursday, May 30, 2013

French Onion Soup Mac & Cheese For 2


Just when you thought macaroni and cheese couldn't get any better, along comes mac & cheese combined with delicious caramelized onions.
Can you say "decadent"?
I saw this recipe over at Savory Simple and was about ready to lick my computer monitor staring at the photos. I made a few changes and down sized the recipe to only make 2 servings. If you want to have a look at the original recipe then pop over to Savory Simple.
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT look up the nutritional values. Trust me when I say this is one of those times you just want to enjoy, indulge, and not think about calories.
We all need a wonderful treat like this every once in a while.


French Onion Soup Mac & Cheese For 2
(Adapted from Savory Simple)

Ingredients
Caramelized Onions
1 large onion, sliced thin
2 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
generous sprinkle sea salt
1 Tbsp red wine

Pasta
1 cup macaroni

Cheese Sauce
1/2 Tbsp butter
1/2 Tbsp flour
3/4 cup milk
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup aged cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tsp dried chives

Topping
2 tsp Panko bread crumbs

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray 2, single serving, oven safe dishes with cooking spray. Set aside.
Prepare onions: In a medium frying pan over medium-low heat, add onions, butter, olive oil, and sea salt.


Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. Add in red wine to deglaze pan and continue to cook the onions until they are golden brown - about another 10 minutes.


Remove from heat and set aside.
Prepare pasta: Cook pasta according to package directions. When done, drain and set aside.
Prepare cheese sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together butter and flour until a smooth paste forms. Slowly pour in milk, a little at a time, whisking the entire time. Bring sauce just to a boil and remove from heat.
Stir in garlic, cheeses, and chives. Keep stirring until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth.
Assemble the dish: Stir cooked pasta into the cheese sauce. Spoon the pasta evenly into the 2 prepared dishes.


Top each dish with 1/2 of the caramelized onions.


Sprinkle each with 1 tsp of the Panko bread crumbs.


Bake at 350 until bubbly and top has browned, about 20 minutes.


*cue angels singing*
Now THAT is how you do mac & cheese, my friends.
For realz.

Head over to Blissful and Domestic and Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons and My Turn (for us)  and Carole's Chatter for some fantastic links!

6 comments:

  1. Whoohooo!! - I'm your 500th GFC follower! I found you on the “Freedom Friday” blog hop - this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.com
    Thanks
    Angie
    PS - You have a wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angelique! We followed you back :)

      Delete
  2. This looks SO good! I pinned it so I can make it for my little guys--this is right up their alley! I found you at Blissful and Domestic...thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked my husband what he thought as I read him the name of this recipe....he said "interesting". That is enough for me to try it! Pinned on my "mouthwatering" board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is "interesting" lol. I hope he (and you, of course) also find it delicious!! Please let us know if you make it :)

      Delete