Friday, December 7, 2012

Ambrosia Truffles

 
Who doesn't love ambrosia?
You know, the salad with whipped cream, sour cream/yogurt, pineapple, coconut, mini marshmallows, and mandarin oranges. Some versions even have nuts or maraschino cherries.
I love it! I thought I would see if I could get some of those flavors into a square or a candy.
Turns out, this recipe can be either.
I made it first as a square and then decided I didn't like how it looked so turned it into a truffle type candy.
Okay, it's not exactly like ambrosia but I think it is pretty reminiscent.
What do you think?
 
 
Ambrosia Truffles
 
Ingredients
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
1 cup icing sugar
3 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1 can (14 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup mini marshmallows, cut in half
1 cups shredded coconut
 
Directions
Beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in vanilla and salt. Beat in icing sugar.
Stir in vanilla wafer crumbs, pineapple, and 1/2 cup cut mini marshmallows. (If it seems really, really soft you can stir in a bit more icing sugar or crumbs to stiffen it up. It doesn't get too much firmer after it chills.)
 
 
Shape the dough into 2 logs. Place the coconut onto a flat surface. Roll each log in the coconut.
 
 
Chill for several hours or over night. Slice and serve.
 
 
Now, here is where I didn't really like how they looked. I thought they would be much cuter as a ball.
Sooooo...I decided to make them into truffles by pressing a mini marshmallow into the middle of each square and pressing the dough closed around it.
 
 
Then I rolled the balls in more shredded coconut.

 
See the little marshmallow peeking out? I liked this version way better.
 
 
Ta-dah!
Instead of a square they are now a little ball with a surprise inside. You could put 1/2 a maraschino cherry inside if you prefer.
I think to make them more ambrosia-y I will try adding in a tablespoon or two of sour cream to the cream cheese to get that tanginess that ambrosia salad has. And, I would also try a few little chopped up mandarin orange slices.
I started with the basics and it turned out very tasty. Next time I will make the additions of the sour cream and mandarin oranges and hopefully it will be even better.
I will come back and update when I make the changes.
In the meantime, give this version a try. It is tasty and the texture is definitely different from the norm. If you don't want to roll the mini marshmallows into the balls then simply slice the rolls and serve like that.
One recipe, two choices.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment