Monday, August 27, 2012

Banana Coconut Cream Pie

 
I went a little pie crazy this weekend.
Two of the girls at work are leaving us so I thought I would make something special for them.
Plus...I have been dying to make some new pie recipes that I have been holding onto all summer. Yay for cooler weather!
I made a banana coconut cream pie, a caramel cream pie, and a peach cream pie. I may have had a bit of a "cream" theme going there.
Anyway...they all turned out amazingly, mind blowingly delicious....if I do say so myself.
I am sharing the banana coconut recipe today and will do the other two this week as well.
 
 
Banana Coconut Cream Pie
 
Ingredients
1 baked 8 or 9 inch pie shell
 
Filling
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
pinch salt
2 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup toasted coconut
3 ripe bananas
 
Topping
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Butterscotch Ripple Schnapps
 
Directions
In a small bowl, whisk the 4 egg yolks until well mixed. Set aside.
Whisk together sugar, flour, and salt in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in whipping cream. Bring to a low boil over medium/low heat. Stir constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
Slowly whisk in the hot cream mixture into the yolks, about a tablespoon at a time so as not to curdle the eggs, until you have half the cream mixture whisked in. Return the egg/cream mixture to the pot with the rest of the cream mixture and place back over medium heat.
Stir constantly until pudding thickens. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, mash 2 of the 3 bananas. Spread the mashed banana into the bottom of the pie shell.
 
 
Sprinkle with all but a tablespoon or two of the toasted coconut (which you will save to sprinkle on top).
 
 
Pour the pudding into the shell on top of the coconut and spread evenly. Slice up the last banana into thin slices. Layer evenly over pudding.
 
 
Let cool completely. The bananas may go a bit brown but it's okay, you are going to cover them with whipped cream.
When cool (you can place in fridge to speed process), whip the remaining 1 cup of whipping cream with the Butterscotch Ripple Schnapps and 2 Tbsp of sugar. **If you don't want to use the Schnapps then you can use 1 tsp of vanilla, it will just taste a teeny bit different.**
Cover the pie with the whipped cream and sprinkle with the reserved toasted coconut.
 
 
I just need to take a moment to enjoy the beauty of this pie.
*Sigh*
I can't even tell you how much better this is than using store bought pudding. You know how sometimes store bought isn't that much different than homemade and you think, "Holy heck, why did I just put out so much effort for that?" I promise you will NOT be saying that with this pie.
Stay tuned for the other cream pies I made this week.
 
 
The bottom one is the caramel cream pie, the middle is the peach cream pie, and the top is the banana.
You know you will be back...I mean....it's PIE!
Piiiiiiiiiiiiiie!
No one walks away from that. Well, unless you are crazy.
*cough*  Sue *cough*
 
Be sure to visit Carole's Chatter for tons of fabulous links!

8 comments:

  1. OMG - I MUST make this! it looks so delicious! but I'm so afraid of tempering eggs .... I might just have to get over that - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I was really scared to try it at first. My advice - just add the hot liquid super slow and don't stop whisking (I often use a stand mixer so it is easier!). I hope you give it a try - this pie is heaven! :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing recipe. I love it. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/free-bee-sweet-hat-pattern-crocheted.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite! We joined in :) And..we are following you back. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. This is such an amazing recipe. I am going to make it this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/simple-anti-aging-moisturizer-and.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please add a Pinterest link so we can place these recipes on our boards. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a Pinterest button on the side of our blog so you can follow our boards :)

      Delete