Monday, May 7, 2012

Rootbeer Float Cookies


Sue here again! Remember me?
I'm the one who's not Jo Blog-hogger-pants.
I figured I should take a turn writing a blog before people think Jo is all wonderful and creative and the only one who knows how to bake a cookie.
Okay... she's alright... but I can bake cookies too.
Darn good cookies.
I had some rootbeer extract in my cupboard that I was always wondering what to do with and I found these cookies on Pinterest the other day. The photos had me drooling over my screen.
At that moment I knew my extract was destined for greatness.


Rootbeer Float Cookies
(Slightly adapted from Six Sisters Stuff)

Ingredients
Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp root beer extract or concentrate
4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch salt

Frosting
4 cups powdered sugar (or icing sugar)
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 - 4 Tbsp milk
2 tsp root beer extract or concentrate

Directions
Preheat oven to 375º. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and root beer extract.
Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Bake at 375º for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.


In a mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Beat until smooth.
Frost cooled cookies.


These cookies are soft and cake like, a little buttery, and very rootbeer-y.
If you are looking for something that is not too sweet then these cookies are a good choice. I added more rootbeer extract to the frosting than the original recipe called for (it said 1 tsp and I added 2) because I wanted it to be noticeably rootbeer-y. It is quite subtle with only 1 tsp.
I don't usually like the sweet stuff (I prefer salty/savory) but these cookies are really good. I love the soft, cake-y texture.

3 comments:

  1. My daughter was asking if I would bake her some goodies today(Guess I've slacked off lately). These sound perfect. She loves rootbeer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I did make these, and they are a BIG hit with all 3 of my daughters. to quote one "you can't eat just one"
    and "you should make these all of the time" It's a keeper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad they liked them :) I definitely couldn't eat "just one' either!

      Delete