Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry


I know it seems like I am doing a bunch of posts that are healthy.
"Where are the treats?", you ask.
Don't worry.
Sue and I haven't gone over to the healthy side entirely. I am just trying to eat more vegetables as part of my New Year's resolution. In order to convince myself that vegetables are delicious and worthy of my eating more of them, I have to come up with different ways to cook them.
Plain old boiled broccoli and cauliflower and carrots just don't cut it with me.
I'd rather eat pierogies and chocolate cake.
*Sigh*
Sue always did eat more vegetables than me. She has tummy troubles so she has had to watch what she eats for a few years. When I do want to eat a good veggie dish I usually would go to Sue's house.
But, not anymore.
I'm a true blue veggie cooker now. This dish is my proof. Who knew a little sauce on some broccoli and beef would turn into heaven on a plate.
A healthy plate, even...



Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

Ingredients
1/2 head broccoli
1 medium steak
1/2 inch fresh ginger
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1/4 cup onion, sliced

 Steak Marinade
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced

Stir Fry Sauce
1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
3 Tbsp water
1/2 Tbsp cornstarch

Directions
Break broccoli into florets. In a medium saucepan, bring broccoli to a boil and cook for only 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Thinly slice the steak.
Mince or grate the ginger.
Combine Steak Marinade ingredients in a bowl and add the steak. Set aside.
Combine all the Stir Fry Sauce ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup, whisk together well.
Once all the prep work is done, heat a large pan or wok with the 2 Tbsp of oil over medium high heat.
When oil is hot, add the ginger and onion. Cook and stir for about 1 minute.
Add the marinated beef. Try to spread it out to avoid overlapping pieces. Let it cook on one side until almost done. Use a flipper to flip the beef and then add the broccoli as well.


Cook until beef is done and broccoli is heated through.
Remove the beef and broccoli mixture to the saucepan you cooked the broccoli in.
Pour the Stir Fry Sauce ingredients into the hot wok (or pan). Stir the sauce in the wok until it thickens and then dump the broccoli and beef back into the sauce. Stir to coat.

This was really tasty served with some jasmine rice (or regular rice for that matter - I just like jasmine). This made just enough for 2 servings. And, by servings I mean actual servings, not however-much-I-can-eat-is-a-serving servings.


We're sharing over at Carole's Chatter. Be sure to stop by and say hi! 


2 comments:

  1. Just made this, it's awesome. I doubled the sauce and had to add more water as it was to tight. I also had pre cooked beef that I cut up so it made for a fast dinner, the rice took longer to cook ha ha
    Thanks for the quick awesome dinner.

    ReplyDelete