Thursday, September 1, 2011

Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pie


Time for another pie blog! Pies are one of the things I find really easy to make. Now that I have my crust recipe down pat I can focus on whichever filling I want. The only thing I still find tricky is getting my crust to stay looking pretty when I have to pre-bake it. I hate how it shrivels down the sides of the pan and I do not like having to line the crust with foil / parchment paper and then filling it with beans or rice (maybe I should invest in some pie weights).
I’m sure if I researched it more I could learn the secret to a perfect pre- baked pie crust.
Funny story – the first time I went to pre-bake a crust and I read that you had to fill it with rice or beans in order to hold its shape I just poured the rice into the crust and put it in the oven. I took it out when it was nice and brown thinking I was doing pretty good. It was only then that I realized that the rice had baked into the crust. I managed to pour out most of it and then spent 10 minutes picking more rice kernels out with tweezers. I missed a few. That was the day we had “Crunchy Surprise Pie”.
For now though I am focused on not having to bake the crust before you put your ingredients in.
This recipe is as easy as apple pie (Catch that pun there? Geez, I’m funny) All you have to do is chop up some rhubarb, sprinkle in some sugar and cinnamon, and you are on your way.


Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients
1 recipe Never Fail Pie Crust (Click here for that recipe)
¼ cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp flour
5 cups rhubarb (approx)
¼ cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon (divided)

 Directions
Preheat oven to 400.
Roll out pie dough to fit 8 or 9 inch pie plate. Line pie plate with pie crust.
Sprinkle with brown sugar and flour and ½ tsp cinnamon. Evenly spread rhubarb into crust. Top with white sugar and remaining cinnamon.


Roll out second amount of dough to fit over top of pie. (Or you can be all fancy and use a cookie cutter or do a weave. Whatever you like!) 
Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350 and continue cooking until rhubarb is tender and crust is golden brown, about 30 – 50 minutes. (Depends on size, how full, ripeness of fruit)
Remove from oven and let sit for at least an hour for juices to set.


After it cools it may still be a little runny. A little is okay, the pie will still be set enough to cut. 


Vanilla ice cream on top is definitely the way to go! The tartness and crunchiness of the pie is amazing with the sweetness and creaminess of the ice cream. 


A delicious and super easy way to use up all that rhubarb that shows up in spring!
I love this version of rhubarb pie better than custard versions. It's simplicity is perfection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment