Saturday, September 3, 2011

Breakfast Quinoa


Okay, just a short blog today. It is Saturday and I have a lot of baking planned for today!
I started this morning off with a new breakfast recipe. I figured since quinoa was my new thing for the week I might as well jump in with both feet. I found a recipe for an oatmeal-like breakfast using quinoa instead of oats. Since oatmeal is not my favorite thing (the texture almost kills me - too mushy), I figured maybe the quinoa would be a better choice for me.
My recipe makes a single serving but can easily be doubled to serve two.
 It was very good; almost like having a fruit crisp for breakfast.

Breakfast Quinoa

Ingredients
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup 1% milk
1/2 peach, cut in tiny pieces
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp toasted, chopped pecans (or slivered almonds)
1 Tbsp light, frozen yogurt (I used vanilla)

Directions
Mix everything, except pecans and yogurt,  together in small saucepan. Bring to barely a boil over medium heat. Reduce to low and simmer 15 - 20 minutes. Keep checking after 15 minutes until desired consistency is reached. Most of the liquid should be absorbed. Keep in mind it is going to be mushier than when you cook quinoa for salad!
While you are waiting for the quinoa to cook you can toast your pecans in a frying pan over medium heat. It only takes a minute or two. Cook and stir constantly until they start to brown, then immediately remove from heat and remove from frying pan so they stop cooking.
Place cooked quinoa in a dish. Top with toasted pecans. Top with spoonful of frozen yogurt.

 
According to Fitday this is 346 calories, 13.6 fat, 49 carbs, and 10 protein.
This is great if you are looking for something a little different to break your breakfast monotony. I have recently joined a "Biggest Loser" weight loss competition and was looking for some new, healthier-type meals.
Quinoa contains twice the protein of regular cereal grains, contains less carbohydrates, more healthy fats, fiber, phosphorus, calcium and is high in iron. (see here for more info)

I found this quite nutty and, to be honest, my first bite I was not fond of. Then I took a second bite and got a little of the pecans...and a third and got a bit of peach...and a fourth and some of the yogurt..and then I was hooked. It is really quite good.
I recommend NOT leaving out any of the ingredients though. You could definitely substitute another fruit for the peach (apple or pear for example). Definitely toast the pecans - it brings out their flavor so much more!

 
I also made it with slivered almonds, sorry for the photo quality - I only had my cellphone camera when I made this version. I prefer the chopped, toasted pecans but the almonds were a nice change.
UPDATE:
I made it with strawberries instead of peaches and almonds instead of pecans. It was also very tasty.
 
 
I diced up 3 medium sized strawberries to cook in the quinoa and kept one for on top. I didn't have any frozen yogurt so I just used a spoonful of Greek yogurt from the fridge.
Definitely give this a try!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I used frozen blueberries and walnuts! Like you said, the first bite I wasn't thrilled, then I really got into the texture and the blueberries! Lol. Definitely will be making this again. Didn't do the frozen yogurt although next time I will try it with vanilla chobani yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stuck with it! lol It really does get better as you go :) I think I might try blueberries next - that sound tasty.

      Delete