Monday, August 1, 2011

Apricot Raspberry Crisp



You can make a crisp (or is it crumble?) out of pretty much any fruit. This one has rasperries and apricots because I thought they might make an interesting combination and I happen to have a surplus of apricots and raspberries on hand. I have a standard, "never fail" topping recipe that I usually use (see HERE for that recipe). That being said, I decided to try something new this time.

Apricot Raspberry Crisp

Ingredients
3 - 4 cups coarsely chopped apricots
3 - 4 cups raspberries
1 Tbsp cornstarch

Topping
1 1/2 cups flour
3 cups oats
2 cups brown sugar
1 1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place chopped fruit into 9 X 9 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cornstarch.



In a medium sized bowl, mix together topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle generously over fruit.
*NOTE - I had enough topping left over to also make an 8 inch pie pan full of crisp. This did require an additional couple cups of fruit however. *
Bake at 400 for about 30 - 40 minutes. Topping will be browned and crisp will be bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks. Best served warm! 





Ice cream or whipped cream is optional but adds another level of deliciousness to the dish.
I think next time I will go back to my old stand-by for a topping. This one was tasty in it's own rights but I found it a little too buttery. Maybe cutting the amount of butter down might help. It was definitely a different texture than THIS ONE but that might be what you prefer.

Do you have a favorite combination of fruit you prefer in your crisps/crumbles?




No comments:

Post a Comment